Here is a selection of the SEO tools and Search engine optimisation software that we use on a regular basis.
Some tools, particularly those that are primarily web based have not yet been included although I plan to in a subsequent post.
Also, I’d like to add more of an explanation for newbies as to how each tools helps with SEO (even if many are pretty self explanatory), so you might like to check back frequently for updates.
Free Firefox Plugins
- SEO for FireFox: http://tools.seobook.com/firefox/seo-for-firefox.html
SEO for Firefox pulls in many useful marketing data points to make it easy get a more holistic view of the competitive landscape of a market right from the search results. In addition to pulling in useful marketing data this tool also provides links to the data sources so you can dig deeper into the data.
- Search status: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/321
Display the Google PageRank, Alexa rank and Compete ranking anywhere in your browser, along with fast keyword density analyser, keyword/nofollow highlighting, backward/related links, Alexa info and more.
- SEO Link Analysis: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7505
Adds display of PageRank, linktext and nofollow links to external links in Google Webmaster Tools, Yahoo! Site Explorer and Microsoft Webmaster Portal
- Web Developer Toolbar: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60
- Fire FTP: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684
- Screengrab: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1146
Free Google and Yahoo sitemap generator software
As well as creating assorted .xml, .html and compressed .gss sitemaps to help with indexing GSiteCrawler is also great for identifying duplicate content pages, page speed and size assessments and robots.txt generation. Unlikew many competing (and even commercial) sitemap generation tools there is no limit to the number of pages that can be indexed.Additional features allow for advanced handling of sites with session IDs, as well as automated sitemap updating via ftp.
Free AdWords editing Tool
- While not strictly speaking an SEO tool, Google’s AdWords Editor is useful enough to get a mention anyway, as it’s by far the easiest, indeed often the only efficient way to bulk edit, manage and create large Google PPC campaigns.http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/
Free website link strength and broken link checking tool
- Xenu Link Sleuth
Free Trial SEO software
While the following SEO software isn’t free to use on a ongoing basis, it is available as a free trial, which should allow you to play with it for more than long enough to ascertain whether it will add sufficient value.
- Advanced Web Ranking (Keyword rank checking software)
Free SEO friendly blogging Software
Many people, including everyone at Market Appeal and Matt Cutts (Google) consider WordPress one of the best blogging platforms for SEO. It’s Free and comes in both web-based and hosted versions and is highly customisable. http://wordpress.org/
More to the point, almost anything you’d like to do can is possible with the help of it’s wide selection of free plugins.